Friday, May 9, 2014

One Request

Ever been on a date that you weren't sure was a date?
Yeah, me too.
Ever been so self-conscious on said non-date-maybe-a-date that your sensitivity to other's glances and remarks are heightened
Been there. 
Been there as recently as last Saturday. There I was, standing there with my I-wish-I-understood-more-clearly-if-this-is-what-I-think-it-is partner, waiting for a table at Eclectic Cafe, one of the most fun, original gems of Tucson, when the hostess turns to me and informs us that she's going to seat us in the booth for nine. Without missing a beat, I look at her and say,"Are you saying we're fat?" Poor, poor child. She was so unprepared for my sass that cracks like a whip sometimes.... she didn't even know what hit her. I tried to console her and take back my overreaction to the heightened situation, but in the end, just turned to face the canyon that was to be our table. After sitting down across from my contemporary (so far that email would have been the only sufficient means of communication) we both slid the length of the Mississippi river to the middle of our booth and tried to make ourselves look as small as possible. I ask you, Universe, could you cut a girl a break? 


No comments:

Post a Comment